Another Indie piece that’s just a little too quintessentially Brit for its own good. It started life as a 500 word entry in an Escape Pod competition and, while it didn’t get voted through to the next round, it acquitted itself very well considering the main character is a man with Down’s Syndrome. The aim was to write something the people I work with would see as positive, that has humour and authenticity, and doesn’t dissect their vulnerability. You may find the authenticity claim a bit hard to swallow but I can vouch for every bit of dialogue – some bloke with Down’s has uttered those lines to me at some point in our sessions together, and the need to work therapy through Dr Who or a Superhero is almost common enough to need its own literature! It’s over here on This Personal space.
‘If it ain’t broke …’
This entry was posted on Sunday, May 20th, 2012 at 16:45 and tagged with Down syndrome, fiction, short story and posted in fiction. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
search this site
O-Blog O-Blog! Yes it’s here!
- Dragon Loyalty Award
- ‘The Collector’
- ‘Albert’s Teeth’
- ‘Baby Bird’
- ‘Dog Day’
- Protected: Support for Reading – reserved page for pilot study
- ‘Spirits of the Freeze-Sea’
- ‘A Tale of Two Sixties’
- ‘The Justice Box’
- ‘Arthur’s Stone’
- Five Things That Are True and Six That Are Not – audio
- Frozen Fireworks – audio
- Stray's Mongrel Assortments is out! paper.li/strayficshion/… Stories via @MISOmagazine @vincentdignan @NCA_UK 4 hours ago
- Stray's Mongrel Assortments is out! paper.li/strayficshion/… Stories via @WritingSpecial @LynnCinnamon @3D_Print_News 1 day ago
- RT @koffs: Congratulations to @uniofbrighton & @hastingsinfo's most recent honorary fellow, Margaret Wallis! http://t.co/WsdY0z2Sh9 1 day ago
- @nnoromazuonye Succeeded on PC but icon has vanished from laptop. Can't seem to get it back either! 1 day ago
- @sjhigbee Glad to be of service :) 1 day ago
Suzanne Conboy-Hill on ‘The Collector’ sjhigbee on ‘The Collector’ Suzanne Conboy-Hill on ‘A Tale of Two Sixt… Irena Pasvinter on ‘A Tale of Two Sixt… Suzanne Conboy-Hill on ‘A Tale of Two Sixt…